Saturday 16 January 2016

Paris

After London, it was off to Paris for about a week. I did go to Strasbourg for one day to see the Christmas markets, but I'll write a separate post about that.

About a month or so prior to leaving for the trip, I was chatting on Whatsapp to an American friend in Almaty, Daniela, who is there doing the same thing I did in Moscow, with the biggest difference being that she's the only volunteer. We were talking about Christmas, and how she was going to be on her own in a place where no one else celebrates December 24-25. I had just booked my accommodation a day or so earlier at an "aparthotel", which was technically for two people, so I told her that if she could get a ticket to Paris, she could stay with me for free, so we'd both have company for Christmas rather than being alone and miserable. I'm really glad I invited her, as it made it much more enjoyable to see the place with someone.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon/evening (her flight was delayed by 3 hours, and I couldn't contact her directly, so we were messaging through her roommate in Kazakhstan) and didn't actually do anything that day. I'll try not to overload this post with pictures, so here are the highlights of what we did each day.

Monday: Croissants! The outside of the Louvre (neither of us felt we had researched enough to make the most of a day inside, and it was a glorious sunny day of about +14C). Ferris Wheel. Macarons (my first was a savoury one, tomato and basil, a rather interesting flavour. I also broke my no-sugar thing to try a lychee-rose one. It took me at least half an hour to eat it because it was so sweet. The others were for Daniela). Sacre Couer / Montmartre. Arc de Triomphe. Champs de Elysées Christmas markets.

Tuesday: Versailles. Due to the attacks about a month prior, there was extra security at major attractions, so we ended up standing in a line for an hour before we actually got in, but again, it was glorious weather. The grounds are so immense, it would be impossible to see everything in one day. Our feet were still rather sore from the previous day (and standing in line for an hour), so we decided that we would explore the grounds and Marie Antoinette's palace next time we're in France, during Spring or Summer.

Wednesday: I went to Strasbourg.

Thursday (Christmas Eve): River cruise. Hot chocolate at Angelina's. Last minute shopping. Christmas mass at Notre Dame Cathedral.

Friday (Christmas Day): Eiffel Tower.



Saturday: Quick trip to St. Chapelle before heading to train station/airport.




Overall summary:

  • If I lived in Paris my diet would consist predominantly of croissants, bread and cheese. And crepes. And bretzels. 
  • Lovely city. French were much nicer than I had expected. 
  • Must train in preparation for next trip there, because feet hurt too much at the end of each day. 
  • Did I mention the food? Will take a French baking course next time, to learn how to make bread and croissants. 


-Annie.


No comments:

Post a Comment