Friday 14 October 2016

Let the Azerbaijani Adventures Begin!

I am hopeless at keeping any type of blog going, but I figured I'd at least try to start everything here again for now for those wanting to follow along with my new adventures in Baku.

I arrived at about 3pm local time and was driven across town to school and my apartment. I'm exhausted while writing this so sorry if I'm not coherent...

Reactions/observations so far:

  • City is much greener than Kyzylorda. Like a million times greener. Apparently the government makes an effort to keep things looking fresh and pretty.
  • Speaking of green, the school is next door the botanical gardens (except that the only entrance to the park is probably a good 500m walk around the block).
  • Traffic (driving skills) is... well, worse than Australia, but compared with Moscow, Kyzylorda, Almaty etc., I DIDN'T THINK I WAS GOING TO DIE! 
  • My apartment is on the 10th floor (there's a lift thankfully) and it's possibly the fanciest place I've ever lived in. It's also huge (one bedroom but all rooms are really big). Probably 15-20 minutes to walk to school. 
  • I'm not sure about my shower. It's one of those ones that has the massage jet things but it doesn't work brilliantly. 
  • There's a reasonable-sized supermarket on the ground floor (entrance around the other side). I had a few random things provided in the apartment, but toilet paper was not on that list, so I had to go down and check it out. I'll probably still have to shop around for a few things I'm after, but overall it's a decent range (I got rice bran oil! I never ever saw that in Kazakhstan and that included shopping at some of the fanciest supermarkets in Almaty.)
  • Oh... I'm going to be picking up one IB class immediately, rather than having to wait a year or two so that makes me really happy. 
Can't think of anything else. Have internet but not local sim yet, so can still be reached on my Aussie number via whatsapp, viber, facetime etc. It's just after 6pm now so I think I'll eat something and then crash. Photos in the next few days. 

1 comment: