Thursday 4 February 2016

Riga

This is one of the few cities I've ever revisited in all my years of travel, so it was pretty cool. (And, apart from moving to Moscow to live, Riga was the first international city I ever visited.)

We had rented an apartment in Old Town, which turned out to be about 100m from the main shopping centre. That was handy, as we had gone from Berlin with no snow, to SNOW! EVERYWHERE! in Riga, and Vlada's shoes weren't up to the task of surviving the ice, especially with her knee post-surgery. After getting her new shoes, we headed off to Lido, based on the recommendation of a Latvian friend and my fuzzy memories of the place.

What is Lido? you ask. "Is it like Sizzler?" asked Peter and Vlada. Well, yes, if Sizzler charged per dish (rather than a buffet) and is on steroids with all the wonderful Russian/Baltic dishes you can think of (at least 180 to choose from) and has been attacked by Christmas decorations and probably has mini-golf outside during the summer. We spent about 15 euros each, including drinks, and had So. Much. Food. It was fun for me watching Vlada get excited about seeing all these dishes that she grew up with (Herring under fur coat! Blinchiki!) and both of us introducing Pete to the wonder that is Russian cuisine.
Excited for food! (And snow...)
The following morning I took some time out and had my hair done at an eco spa. The Baltics have so many natural/organic cosmetics and skincare lines, it's fabulous. Otherwise we just wandered around and overate yet again.

Sunrise while walking to my hair appointment. 


Apart from two days in Vilnius in August a few years ago, I've only ever visited the Baltics during winter, but I absolutely love that region. Yet another place I want to live at some time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment